Founding Member, Trial Lawyer
Carbon monoxide is a toxic gas that has been heavily studied since the late 1200s. Researchers say Spanish alchemist Arnold of Villanova first discovered the poisonous gas when examining the incomplete combustion of wood. According to historical records, Villanova described an invisible poisonous gas that scientists today believe was most likely the existence of carbon monoxide fumes.
Over the next five centuries, carbon monoxide was a topic of interest across several fields of scientific research. In the 1850s, French physiologist Claude Benard discovered which properties of carbon monoxide caused the gas to become fatal for warm-blooded animals. And in 1877, French physicist Louis Paul Cailletet achieved a significant milestone when he was able to transform carbon monoxide into a liquid.
Despite the centuries of research, thousands of people around the world still die every year from unintentional carbon monoxide poisoning; at least 400 of these fatalities occur in the United States according to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (C.D.C.).
The winter months are especially dangerous for carbon monoxide leaks. Not only are there more chances for exposure as fuel-powered equipment and heating systems become more popular in homes, but people are also more likely to spend most of the day inside where the toxic gas is unable to escape. The colder the temperatures are outside, the harder your heating system has to work, and the higher your risk for exposure if wear and tear leads to a deadly leak.
As we welcome the official beginning of winter only days away, now is the time to protect your home from carbon monoxide. Educating your family on the risks of carbon monoxide is the best place to start. Familiarize everyone in your home with how to identify the equipment that produces carbon monoxide gas, the symptoms to watch for, and with the emergency plan to follow if you do experience a leak this winter.
Carbon monoxide (CO) is a natural byproduct produced from burning fuel. Nicknamed the ‘silent killer,’ carbon monoxide is odorless, colorless, and tasteless, often going undetected until victims begin feeling the ill effects of contaminated air.
According to Mayo Clinic, carbon monoxide is fatal to humans and warm-blooded animals because of its ability to suffocate from the inside out. Carbon monoxide inhibits red blood cells from obtaining the oxygen they need to carry to the rest of the body. When enough of the toxin circulates through the bloodstream, carbon monoxide can result in brain damage, heart damage, miscarriage for pregnant women, and even death when exposure is high.
Carbon monoxide gas is most often found in the fumes produced by fuel-burning appliances and equipment. The most common fuels emitting CO gas include:
Carbon monoxide produced outdoors has plenty of room to dissipate into the air, only entering the body in small amounts if at all. However, when carbon monoxide gas is produced in small, enclosed spaces, the sudden buildup can prove to be fatal without a means of escape.
Carbon monoxide leaks can be especially fatal during the winter months when temperatures are low, and people remain indoors for the majority of the day. In January, historically the coldest month of the year, the C.D.C. reports an average of two fatalities a day related to unintentional carbon monoxide poisoning
Heating systems that produce carbon monoxide are designed to release the gas through flues or vents safely, but these systems are not perfect. When flues are blocked, or pipes become cracked, carbon monoxide can seep back into the home. Since doors and windows are sealed tight in the winter to prevent drafts, the poisonous gas becomes trapped. Consistently running systems will continue to produce carbon monoxide to unhealthy levels until the issue is found and repaired.
Carbon monoxide can also enter your home when outdoor tools are used in enclosed spaces, or fuel-burning equipment is used incorrectly as a method of heating the home. Examples include using propane lanterns, outdoor grills, and gas ovens. These appliances produce unhealthy amounts of carbon monoxide in a short amount of time that are not meant to be running for long periods.
When winter power outages occur, generators are used to keep homes warm. But when generators are used in basements, garages, crawl space, or are positioned too close to a residence, carbon monoxide will build up inside the home.
Any tool, appliance, or heating equipment that burns fuel produces carbon monoxide. While most have a system to contain and dispose of the deadly gas, not all do. Some of the most dangerous carbon monoxide producers in the winter months include:
With the invention of the keyless vehicle, some drivers are putting their families at risk for carbon monoxide poisoning by forgetting to turn off their vehicle. Keyless cars that run in closed garages can produce deadly levels of carbon monoxide gas, with no place to go but inside of your house. These horrific errors have resulted in more than one tragedy when carbon monoxide has been responsible for killing entire families in their sleep.
Some groups are more at risk for serious health consequences from carbon monoxide exposure than others. These groups include:
In some circumstances, recognizing the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning could be your first clue that a leak has occurred. Everyone will react differently when exposed to carbon monoxide, but the most common symptoms to watch for include:
During the winter season, symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning are often misdiagnosed as the flu. If you or your family members have begun to experience a sudden onset of these symptoms, and have had no recent contact with someone with the flu, get your CO levels tested immediately to rule out a leak.
Installing working carbon monoxide detectors is the most effective way to monitor carbon monoxide gas in your home. These life-saving devices provide an early warning signal when the toxic CO gas is detected, alerting the household similar to a smoke alarm when it’s time to find fresh air.
Carbon monoxide detectors are user-friendly and relatively inexpensive. Most manufacturers also make dual detectors featuring smoke and carbon monoxide alarms. These combo models make it easier for homeowners to manage with fewer detectors to maintain.
Proper installation and placement are key to providing the earliest possible detection of poisonous gas in your home. These are the best practices outlined by Safety.com when it comes to installing CO detectors:
Carbon monoxide detectors are widely sold at most popular stores and online shopping venues. Some of the most popular brands and products currently on the market include:
If you’re looking for more advanced features, check out Safety.com’s list of Best CO Detectors of 2019 here.
It only takes a few simple steps to protect your family from deadly carbon monoxide exposure this winter. In addition to installing CO detectors, these are the most crucial steps to start with highlighted by Mayo Clinic:
Carbon monoxide poisoning is 100 percent preventable. Keep your family safe this season by staying alert and prepared for the possibility of leaks in your home.
If you or a loved one was injured in an accident due to negligence, our Maryland accident lawyers have the trial experience to protect your rights and fight for the compensation you need and deserve. Don't Get Mad... Get Justice! Call 1-800-JUSTICE or fill out an online contact form to get the justice you deserve. You will reach one of our successful accident attorneys to review your case. Our consultation is free, and there is no fee unless we win!
Heart disease is the number one cause of death worldwide, taking 17.9 million lives every year. In the United States alone, the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (C.D.C.) estimated 1 in every 4 deaths is caused by heart disease, a total of nearly 647,000 Americans each year.
Last week, the World Health Organization declared a global emergency as the novel coronavirus continues to spread rapidly and with ease around the world. In only 10 days, the total of confirmed cases rose from 916 and 41 deaths to a staggering 24,622 cases and 494 deaths. Within the last 48-hours alone, approximately 7,000 new cases and 132 deaths have been reported.
The da Vinci surgical system is believed to be a one-of-kind medical breakthrough in the field of robotic-assisted surgery. Assisting in more than six million procedures to date, the da Vinci allows surgeons to perform high-risk procedures with minimally invasive methods. Manufacturers of the da Vinci claim it could one day change the landscape of all surgery, reducing the number of complications leading to life-threatening injuries.