When you take a moment to thank all of those who have served in the U.S. military this Veterans Day, consider this:
- At least 40,000 veterans struggle to find shelter every night.
- 1.4 million veterans are at risk of being homeless from poverty and housing insecurity.
- Many struggle to find a job with a background in military training.
- Millions of veterans struggle with the lingering effects of P.T.S.D. and other mental illnesses.
- Veterans often suffer from substance abuse used to cope with past trauma.
Simply thanking a veteran in your community for their service is not enough to support their health and safety. After the countless sacrifices these men and women have made for our country to secure the freedoms we enjoy, these individuals deserve a little more this Veterans Day.
Thankfully, there are a ton of freebies and deals going on next week to help give back to our national heroes. Between free meals, haircuts, and shopping discounts, these are the best Veterans Day deals this year highlighted by Living On The Cheap.
Free Meals and Deals
Veterans can enjoy a number of free meals and drink deals on Veterans Day (November 11) at participating establishments across the state. Make sure to call ahead to confirm deals and availability:
- Applebees’s: Free meal to active duty and veteran military service members.
- BJ’s Restaurants: Free dine-in meal up to $14.95 plus a free Dr Pepper.
- Bubba Gump Shrimp: 20% off the bill for veterans and their families.
- California Pizza Kitchen: Free meal from the Veterans Day menu at participating locations for veterans. Veterans will also receive a card for a BOGO free pizza, pasta, or salad redeemable from November 12 to November 20.
- Carrabba’s Italian Grill: Firefighters, police officers, veterans, and active military will receive a free order of calamari with any purchase. Veterans and active military also receive 10% military discount.
- Chili’s Restaurant: Special menu available for veterans to eat for free.
- Cracker Barrel: All military veterans will receive a free Pumpkin Pie Latte or a slice of Double Chocolate Fudge Coca-Cola® Cake.
- Denny’s: Veterans can build a Grand Slam® breakfast from 5 am to 12 pm.
- Friendly’s: All veterans will receive a thank you Big-Two-Do breakfast or All-American Burger.
- Golden Corral: Military veterans, retirees, and active duty personnel are invited to a free sit-in dinner from 5 pm to 9 pm.
- Houlihans: Year-round discount of 15% to active-duty military and veterans. Free meal on Veterans Day from the special menu.
- Little Caesar’s: Veterans and active military can get a free lunch combo from 11 am to 2 pm.
- Logan’s Roadhouse: All active duty and retired U.S. military personnel get a free dine-in meal from 3 pm to 6 pm.
- Red Lobster: All active-duty military personnel receive 10% on purchases.
- Smoothie King: Veterans and active military personnel can receive a free 20 oz. smoothie of their choice.
If you have some shopping to take care of next week, veterans should hit these locations for some deals:
- Walgreens: All locations are offering 20% disgust on purchases for active duty and veterans.
- The Home Depot: Veterans are being offered a 10% discount on their purchases in-store on select items.
- BJs Wholesale: Active duty and military will receive special discounts on Veterans Day.
- Dollar General: Veterans and their families receive 11% off on qualifying items in-store and online.
Deals For Fun
Some places will be closed in observance of Veterans Day, but other attractions will be open and ready to go. Here are some of the most fun and random Veterans Day deals this year:
- B&B Stays: Veterans are eligible for one free night a participating Bed and Breakfasts across the United States and Canada through the B&B for Vets program.
- Haircuts: Great Clips and Sports Clips are offering free haircuts for veterans and active duty military on Veterans Day.
- Wedding Gowns: All military brides are eligible for a free wedding gown from Brides Across America.
- Car Washes: Visit Grace for Vets for car washes in Maryland that provide a free car wash to veterans and active duty members on Veterans Day.
- National Parks: All national parks are free on Veterans Day!
Helping Veterans in Baltimore
It doesn’t have to be Veterans Day to make a difference in the life of a veteran. There are multiple ways members of the Baltimore community can help former military personnel who are struggling in their neighborhood, including:
- Helping with employment opportunities.
- Supporting a veteran in education achievement.
- Volunteering at a VA hospital.
- Scheduling weekly visits to provide social and emotional support.
- Picking up the tab for a drink or meal, or bringing by a home cooked dish.
Helping veterans connect to local resources is another great way to make sure veterans are getting the necessities and care they need.
The Maryland Center for Veterans Education and Training (M.C.V.E.T.)provides veteran services such as health care, education, employment, emergency housing, and counseling. For over 25-years they have been helping veterans get back on their feet and rejoin their communities as productive citizens. Some veterans just need a little help and support to get there.
The Baltimore Station is also an excelled resource for veterans. For nearly 30 years, this organization has been providing services to homeless veterans in South Baltimore. Today, they have 136 beds to help homeless male veterans a second chance to turn their lives around.
Our team at D’Amore Personal Injury Law wishes everyone a Happy Veterans Day! To all the veterans and active duty members, thank you for all you have done.